11.07.2008

Stuck in Stick Season Doesn't Mean the End of the World

Okay, I'm stuck. Stick Season is nothing to crow about, although if there is such a thing as an "off" season, I'd rather be in Stowe than anywhere else. We're quiet right now (a friend calls this the "serene season"), and a bit gray, although warm. Many visitors during this time of year love the tranquility, and the possibility that it could snow at any time (check out my blog of 10/29)--or that you can still jump on your bike and ride for miles, setting your mind free.

Hotel rates are at their lowest, so a weekend getaway from the big city is a distinct possibility. To be seriously considered and very much in order would be a day at the spa. We've got some great ones! Gas prices have plunged, and an audiobook makes your trip fly by. If you're from the Boston area, that's only 200 miles or so; NYC only about 300, and Montreal even closer.

A few of our scores of restaurants are closed for vacation/deep cleaning/regrouping before the holiday onslaught, but many of those open have great specials going on, and always a warm, welcoming ambiance. We're still all the things you love about Stowe, no matter what the season.


Election Day 2008 dawned unseasonably warm and bright earlier this week, and the atmosphere was positively Rockwellian. From my office I look down on the Town Hall polling place in the village, and it was hard to tear myself away from the window. I voted early this year, and then kicked myself for forgoing the warmth of community that pervades when voting in a small town. Even so, I moseyed over to visit with the pollsters and the voters, using the excuse that because I voted early I didn't get my "I Voted" sticker. Cliff Johnson, our recently retired Public Works Director was volunteering his time for sticker-duty and was happy to lay one on me: I VOTED!